Pages

Friday, September 7, 2012

BETTER

When last we left my new found perch in the blogosphere, I'd been cut deeply by remarks on a "360 assessment" at work. Communication was a recurring theme - full of valued information for some in my circle and too detailed for others.

My gut reaction - not necessarily a reasonable or healthy reaction - was that the people who can't assimilate the information should just step up their game. That it's their weakness, not mine.

Ahhhh, there I go again... focusing on "weakness" instead of building on "strength."

And probably dodging accountability along the way.

I've come to realize that one size does not fit all, that I need to tailor my communication to my audience. I've also learned our time is best spent on playing to our strengths. That's not to weasel out of accountability or improving performance. I'd put those things under the "managing weaknesses" umbrella. We can't get rid of all our weaknesses, but we can do our best to make sure the weaknesses don't outshine the strengths.

And that brings me to this blog. Why am I doing this? Well, it's one way to put my life in context. I'm connecting the dots by thinking out loud... OK, maybe I'm writing out loud, but you get the picture.

I'll hone written communication skills here. Who knows? Maybe someone will read these words. Maybe they'll say "It's like drinking from a fire hose. Do we really need the background?" And in this case I'll say "Yeah. Yeah, you do." Because the context is what I'm trying to communicate.

Just as I try to put those pollution issues into a context relevant to society, I'm trying to put my life into context. Just as I'm accepting (well, maybe being dragged into accepting while kicking and screaming and holding my breath and threatening to wet my pants just a little bit) that one size does not fit all in daily communication, I'm learning that one size does not fit all  the stages and phases of my life.

Progressing in my career, being a productive citizen, being at peace with my life and happy in the world, being happy in my relationships and spending quality time with the people I love, compartmentalizing less and integrating more.....I'm on a quest.

This blog will change as I work my way through those very broad terms and get down into the nitty-gritty of it all. At a minimum I can see it touching on finance, productivity, time management, how to enjoy the most good in life and make it through the bad. I want it to be more than just navel gazing. I want to explore strengths and do things that actually play to those strengths so that life is...I don't know...so that life is BETTER.

This could be good...

No comments:

Post a Comment